I feel so incredibly lucky to have Swedish roots. Let me count the reasons…..
- I have absolutely fallen in love with the beautiful St. Lucia Day celebration. I am bound and determined to attend one. One of my favorite pictures is of my grandmother, participating in one of these lovely ceremonies.
- IKEA. Who doesn’t love IKEA??
- The landscapes in Sweden are breath-taking.
- I always loved the Swedish chef from The Muppet Show. Yes, I’m a child of the 80’s.
- For some reason, I really like Swedish names. Lars. Gunnar. Brita. Elvy. And it cracks me up that my great-great grandfather’s middle name was Magnus. I imagine him as a huge hulk of a man just because of that name.
- But by far my favorite thing about having Swedish roots is the fact that they kept such fantastic parish records! Births, Deaths, Baptisms, Marriages, Moving records, and Household Examinations that list everything from birth dates and places, immigration information, shot records, and lots of other really helpful stuff. Most of them go back to the early 1700’s and some further than that. I have been having so much fun trying to decipher what I’ve found.
Do you have Swedish roots?
Have you traveled to Sweden to do research or simply visit? Did you find long lost relatives still living there?
I would really love to go there someday.