My Daughter’s View of the NGS 2011 Conference in Charleston

I took my daughter, Ellie, along to the NGS Conference this past weekend.

With 4 younger siblings, she was ready for some “Mom” time and knew that genealogy was definitely a good way to get it.

She is interested in family history.  She even had me upload Legacy to her computer so that she could have access to all of the information that I’ve gathered. I’m hoping that she can join me in research in the near future.

But when it comes down to it, she’s 12 (well, almost 12) and most of the sessions I attended were way over her head (heck, I think that a lot of them were overwhelming for the adults!).  She didn’t have any interest in hearing about the “Genealogical Proof Standard” or how to write a research report.

So, there were times that she was bored.

She likes to make short movies on her computer and decided that she would make a “news report” from the conference.  She took pictures and videos around the exhibit hall and put it all together into a 5 minute video, which I would like to share with you now.

Before you push play, I would like to say “thank you” to Pat from DearMYRTLE, the Flip-Pal people, and Paul Nauta from FamilySearch, for taking the time to answer her questions and allowing her to tape them.  I hope you enjoy it! She had a great time making it.:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
  • Lisa Nap - May 15, 2011 - 7:16 am

Wow, that is great. Original and creative. Absolutely loved the queue to the ladiesroom! You must be a very proud mum!ReplyCancel

• Jenny Lanctot - May 15, 2011 - 8:36 am

That was great! Your daughter has a fabulous sense of humor and a very creative mind. I try to remember what I was doing when I was 12 years old … nope, can’t do it … but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t anything as fantastic as what Ellie has done here. It’s so wonderful that she’s interested in genealogy research. If she can be as creative with her research as she is with her videos, she will be a force to be reckoned with. (And I think it’s super-awesome that her name is Elle Woods – so if the reporting or news anchor jobs don’t work out, she can always try law school LOL).ReplyCancel

• Susan - May 15, 2011 - 10:14 am

Superb! Can’t tell you how much I enjoyed this. Kudos to you both. And thanks to Elle for the warning about the queue. I’ll have to devise a strategy for Springfield next fall…ReplyCancel

• Dee Blakley - May 15, 2011 - 10:49 am

Fabulous! Just think what a mom/daughter team you two could make for any of the relatives who need to see “action” instead of reading about the family history…

Congrats to Elle!ReplyCancel

• Debi Austen - May 15, 2011 - 11:15 am

That is great! And SO timely as I’m about ready to push the button to purchase a flip-pal scanner – so good to see it demonstrated here. Nice work, Ellie!ReplyCancel

• Valerie Craft - May 15, 2011 - 12:12 pm

What a great video! Your daughter’s very creative.ReplyCancel

• Marian Wood - May 15, 2011 - 2:00 pm

Ellie, your video has very interesting content, careful editing, and it was a lot of fun to watch. Jen, I noticed in the credits that you shared camera duties with Ellie. Kudos to both of you!!ReplyCancel

• Betty - May 15, 2011 - 10:27 pm

The kid video is fabulous!!! She captured the NGS conference better that the pros:-) Am still in Charleston-their city library is fantastic. Looking forward to seeing you in Cincy.ReplyCancel

• Linda McCauley - May 15, 2011 - 10:36 pm

Ellie, This is AMAZING!!!!!ReplyCancel

• Cheryl Palmer - May 15, 2011 - 11:54 pm

Fantastic! Great imagination and maturity! Fun and cute too! I really enjoyed this and am looking forward to her next film!Maybe I should get her autograph now??? Great job!ReplyCancel

• Liz - May 16, 2011 - 12:24 am

Ellie, this could be an award-winning piece of journalism! You did a GREAT job! I loved it! (It would have been perfect if your mom wasn’t giggling in the background!! LOL)

Jenn, you must and should be VERY proud of your girl. She is very talented and will make an awesome genealogist!!ReplyCancel

• DearMYRTLE - May 16, 2011 - 11:16 am

It was an honor to be interviewed by Ellie. She’s one creative gal.ReplyCancel

• Carol - May 16, 2011 - 11:48 am

CLAP CLAP CLAP

Ditto what everyone else said.

Cute, well done, captured the essence.

Someone has a real future here.ReplyCancel

• Elyse Doerflinger - May 16, 2011 - 1:05 pm

This is awesome! Ellie reminds me so much of myself when I was her age (which was about a decade ago… and right around the time I started to get interested too).

I hope both of you are able to come to SCGS Jamboree this year in Burbank, CA. I would love to meet the two of you!

Thank you so much for sharing this! With her fun attitude and curious mind, she is going places!ReplyCancel

• Greta Koehl - May 16, 2011 - 2:11 pm

I am happy that I will be able to make the claim that I knew Ellie “back when.” Two thumbs up and five stars!ReplyCancel

• Heather Roelker - May 16, 2011 - 4:49 pm

Very nice! I especially enjoy the giggling videographer. ;)ReplyCancel

• Jen - May 17, 2011 - 1:17 am

Thank you guys for all of the kind words. Ellie had a really great time making it. She’s already planning another genealogy video, but we’ll have to wait to shoot it until we’ve set up our new house in Texas. :)ReplyCancel

• Cherie Cayemberg - May 17, 2011 - 9:33 pm

I was FINALLY able to watch. Benjamin and I loved it! I wish I could have brought him so he could have hung out with Ellie! She’s got some talent! :)ReplyCancel

• Donna B - May 18, 2011 - 7:36 am

Great job Ellie. It was so good to meet you and I look forward to seeing you again. I only hope next time I will be interviewed :)
    Keep up the creative work!!ReplyCancel

• Joan Miller (Luxegen) - May 18, 2011 - 3:16 pm

I love it! What a great job! Thanks for putting it together Ellie!ReplyCancel

• Anne Mamiya - May 19, 2011 - 10:59 am

What a fantastic job, Ellie! I am glad you enjoyed the conference. I think I will show this to my daughter and see if it will interest her in going next year. Keep up the good work!ReplyCancel

• Wendy B. - May 19, 2011 - 11:23 pm

I think that Ellie could very well have a career in broadcast journalism in her future. =)ReplyCancel

• Michelle Goodrum - June 5, 2011 - 11:19 pm

Ellie, You are incredible! Your video made my evening. Now I can go to bed with a smile on my face.

I Hope it’s not too long before you put out your next one.ReplyCancel

• [...] the NGS Conference in May and learn a lot of new things to help me in my research. I went to the NGS Conference in Charleston and had a [...]ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

Share on FacebookTweet this PostPin Images to PinterestBack to Top